Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Paperboys Club by Mobashar Qureshi

The Paperboys Club


BLURB (courtesy GoodReads)

Detective Samantha ‘Sam’ Banter is assigned a cold case involving the murder of a seven-year-old boy. With the help of her partner, Detective Fred Bashir, Sam must solve the case before her rival, Detective Glen Henkson, solves his case. The outcome will lead to the appointment of the new police sergeant.

Sam’s daughter, Maryann, is quiet and withdrawn. She befriends Thomas and Christopher, who, like her, have a secret—gifts that are a result of traumatic episodes in their pasts.

Clarence Hynes has been locked up in the mental institute for a crime he committed two year ago. But was the crime wrong or justified? Clarence, however, is burdened with something far worse.

Can Sam solve her case before her rival? Will Maryann, Thomas, and Christopher share their secret? How does Clarence link them all together?

The Paperboys Club is a supernatural thriller with twists and turns that lead to a shocking conclusion.


-------------------------------------------------------------

REVIEW    My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I feel this book has an intriguing subject, but I had trouble accepting the idea that a significant promotion would be granted to the candidate who first solved their assigned cold case and that those assignments would be so blatantly skewed. The author weaves multiple story threads, and they kept my interest, but I feel the construction, in a few places, was a hindrance and this story could benefit from some editorial tightening. Some sentences did not make sense though I could generally discern the intended meaning. It seems possible that English may not be the author’s first language, or perhaps this book has been translated from another language. In most cases, there was clear distinction between the various threads when the scenes changed, but there were also instances where the point of view, place, or time radically changed from one paragraph to the next with no warning. I found those disconcerting, and they undeniably broke my concentration and pushed me out of my make-believe realm, even if only for a few moments. I enjoyed this book while I was reading it, but it ended with too many unresolved issues, and I actually wanted to feel a deeper connection to and concern for the characters.

Laurie
Reviewer for Night Owl Reviews





View all my reviews

1 comment:

wishes4me said...

Hey Laurie. Thanks for stopping by. I've been having problems with my blogger schedule. When I set a schedule, it doesn't post! But it's up now if you want to check it out. Thanks for being a follower! :)

~Felicia
Livin' Life Through Books.