Wednesday, May 25, 2011

To Those Who Wait by Linda Swift

To Those Who Wait
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Once I picked up this book and began reading I became totally lost in the lives of the characters. I was mesmerized in a way that is rare for me. The characters became close friends and colleagues to me – they lived in my imagination. I rejoiced with their victories and felt saddened when life, or petty jealousies, seemed to pummel and torment them, exacting, finally, a terrible, yet some would say, just recompense.

This is a book that forced me to re-examine my personal beliefs and even, at times, to flip-flop on some rather closely held perceptions. It hits on many issues, including loneliness, teen pregnancy, infidelity, vengeance, to name just a few. The story, straightforward and relatively simple, is catapulted to the realm of the extraordinary by its heart-felt prose and a cast of characters that are not easily evicted from the recesses of my mind. In a way, I am reminded of one of my favorite TV series, Friday Night Lights, as I read this book. It is a compelling and unexpected delight.

Reviewer for Night Owl Reviews

Read my Interview with Linda Swift

No comments: