Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mojo Queen by Sonya Clark

Mojo Queen

My rating: 4 1/2 of 5 stars

Positively magical! Roxanne Mathis, a witch and paranormal investigator, is the voice in this outstanding tale. A particularly conniving and sneaky entity has been called forth; beckoned through a ritual that badly misfired, by a lonely, driven sorcerer. Unfortunately, promises mean nothing once the demon enters the physical plane. A life is destroyed, and several others are threatened. Roxie struggles to unravel the mystery of the hellish beast so that it may be cast out, but she has never before been pitted against an evil of this caliber.


I was almost immediately engaged and caught up in the events of the story. Roxie led the casting parade, but she is supported by an impressive assortment of helpful backup companions. The writing sparkles with wit and humor. On several occasions I caught myself laughing aloud. There were times when I back-tracked to re-read and highlight a particularly funny passage. Here is just one example I loved. Roxie needs her “cousin”, a vampire no less, to defend the home front. He wants to come with her. So, she says to him “This is not the time to Scooby up and ride along.” That kind of expressive imagery really appeals to me, and this book is liberally sprinkled with similar instances of such delightfully cracked, ingenious phrases. If you enjoy paranormals with heaping dollops of mystery, suspense, danger, lust, and humor then this book should certainly be right up your alley.                                                                        

Laurie-J                                                   

Reviewer for Night Owl Reviews

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Laurie (BittenbyParanormalRomance) said...

Love the cover. I going to put this one in my TBR pile.

Laurie said...

Hi Laurie! That's cool. Hope you like it and I would love to compare notes afterward.