Friday, April 22, 2011

Six Cats In My Kitchen by Lyn Horner

Six Cats In My Kitchen


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I opened this book up on my kindle basically to glance over the first several pages to ensure the download came through properly, and found myself hard-pressed to set it down. It is written in a conversational style that made me feel as if I was listening to a friend chatting with me over a cup of coffee. There is a lot of humor peppered throughout the narrative, but I do agree with the author’s declaration that this book is not just a cutesy kitty book. There are, for instance, several episodes that I found heart-rending. Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed and could relate to the self-deprecating humor found within. Her animal companions are cherished family members, all with distinctive personalities and quirks.


Ms. Horner does a masterful job weaving the details of a busy and productive family life, dealing with the affects of a progressive and debilitating genetic disorder, and providing entertaining and candid insights into feline behavior and temperament. There are numerous pages of pictures scattered throughout. I wish the pictures could have been enlarged with perhaps just one or two images to each kindle page, instead of the usual montage of four or five images, so that I could have seen more detail. But, the pictures were a particularly nice touch, and I enjoyed those pages almost as much as I liked the story. Being a cat lover myself, and deeply devoted to their happiness and welfare, I am not entirely in agreement with some particulars, but then again, I am sure there are probably almost as many ideas about cat care and sharing living space with the curious creatures as there are different types of cats. I recommend this book and I know you will be as charmed as I was.


Laurie


View all my GoodReads reviews

1 comment:

Lyn Horner said...

Laurie,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Six Cats In My Kitchen! I appreciate your insight and candor. Your point about the photo pages is well taken. I'll keep it in mind next time -- if there is a next time. And I expect some others will also disagree with my views about pet care. That's the nature of the subject.

Hugs to your purry babies! Lyn