Monday, April 11, 2011

Secrets of Paris by Luanne Rice

2 Cups
This book was extremely difficult for me to finish, unfortunately.  Honestly, I would pick it up, read a few pages, and then put it thankfully aside in order to happily read a more entertaining story, instead. In the early pages, I was turned off by the choppy, short sentences and unknown, unpronounceable (for me, anyway) French words. Finally, after about 95 pages, the story began to hold my attention in a limited way. I still had to put it down frequently, during particularly boring passages, but I persevered, and finally finished it three days later – for me almost an eternity. The characters seemed shallow and one-dimensional. The so-called friendship between the three women just did not strike any chords within me.  Except in rare instances, the Americans seemed snooty and self-absorbed. I never accepted they could consider Kelly anything other than a servant, even with their many declarations to the contrary. For me, Secrets of Paris was a disappointing read, and not representative of Ms. Rice’s usually compelling works. Read Full Review

No comments: