Friday, March 4, 2011

Island of Secrets by Tammie Clarke Gibbs

I found this an enjoyable read. The descriptions of the sheer cliffs, pounding ocean waves, and spooky castle, riddled with hidden passages, on the private, secluded island were exceptional.  The gothic atmosphere is outstanding throughout most of the book, but I felt there were a few scenes that could have been improved by some further tightening and strengthening of the gothic elements. I also found several transitions disconcerting and it interrupted my enjoyment because I had to stop to re-read the previous passage to figure out what I had missed.  In one instance, I noted a key transitional phrase seemed just a bit misplaced. There are enough secondary characters to make the story compelling without so many as to be overwhelming, and plenty of unexpected twists throughout. The imagery is striking, and the story conceptualization is enticing, carefully crafted, and filled with deceit, jealousy, and an enduring, unconquerable love. Read Full Review  

Tammie Clarke Gibbs Website

No comments: