Friday, March 25, 2011

If Wishes Were Horses by Robert Barclay

                          3 Cups
This book was difficult for me to fully enjoy. Once Trevor stepped foot on the horse ranch it was like he was magically transformed into a thoughtful, exuberant teen in practically the blink of an eye. There is plenty of conflict and excitement but much of it stretched my capacity to suspend disbelief to the limit. There are moments of tenderness and moments of laughter, and honestly, the story-telling flowed smoothly, but, for me, the whole believability factor was just lacking.  Conflicts, anger, and hatred seem often to be resolved with a few choice sentences.  Toward the end, I felt the book was finally coming to a satisfactory conclusion, but then a final twist and tease occurred that, frankly, made me grit my teeth in frustration.  I especially would have liked to have learned more about the beautiful horses. The book maintained my interest while I was reading it, and, for the most part, I enjoyed it, but at the end I was disappointed that I never felt the connection to the characters that I hoped to feel. Read Full Review


No comments: