Sunday, December 19, 2010


Red Bird's SongRed Bird's Song
Sep 2010
334 pgs
Historical Romance, Western
4.5 Stars

The author weaves a story of deep complexity. The descriptions of life among the nomadic tribe are simply without parallel. It is difficult to explain how deeply touching I find it to be.  In the Afterward, Ms Trissel confides that her ancestors settled in the Shenandoah Valley and that the family records document that some relatives were killed in Indian raids and others were taken hostage and later adopted into the tribe.  It seems clear that this story is exceptionally well-documented historically. I found it to be entertaining, thought-provoking, and educational. This book touched my soul even as it provided a thrilling fictional escape into a period of history I have always found fascinating.  Read Full Review

Night Owl Reviewer


Owl said...

Hi Laurie--
I've been enjoying reading your reviews and was just wondering, how do you end up choosing the books you review? How do you describe the genres to other people?

Laurie said...

Hi Owl, Thank you for commenting...I started reviewing for Coffee Time Romance and More about 4 months ago. I am assigned books based on genres that I enjoy reading... I just recently became a reviewer for Night Owl Reviews, as well. There I am allowed to select from the available books which ones I'd like to review. I also still write a few reviews for books I read in my spare time.

I don't normally have to determine the genres as the book genre is generally provided by the author or publisher when the book is submitted for review. It's difficult these days when so many excellent book cross multiple genres.

The Happy Booker said...

Hi and thanks for commenting and following! I'm also a new follower on your wonderful blog, I look forward to reading more of these wonderful reviews!


Laurie said...

Hi Donna, Thanks for the follow! I LOVE your blog button and just added it to my sidebar. A friend is currently designing a custome header for me, I think I'm going to ask her to make an original blog button for my site, as well, yours is so dark and ferocious! Just Super!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hi, Donna! Thanks for letting me know you're following West of Mars. Looks like you've got a lot going on here -- if you ever do interviews or giveaways, keep my Win a Book blog in mind. If you send us your links, we'll post 'em for you. Lots of exposure that way.

RhiannonPaille said...

Hey Laurie,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions on your page! You read good stuff! And thanks for commenting on my blog post :) I was actually walking on air!